Fun Facts About Nuts
Unlike many snacks, nuts have significant health benefits that make them the ideal thing to munch on. Nutritious and versatile, they are a good source of protein, antioxidants, fiber and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Here are some interesting facts about nuts.
- All eight essential amino acids which we need in our protein intake are present in peanuts. Nuts are so high in protein that the USDA Food Guide Pyramid puts them in the meat category!
- A quarter cup of almonds has almost as much calcium as a quarter cup of milk.
- The peanut is the only nut grown underground.
- Pistachios are the only edible nut that doesn't need to be shelled before processing.
- Macadamia nuts are not picked from the tree but fall when fully ripened, and then harvested.